Rules and Guidelines for Socially Distant Private Lessons
How lessons work:
- An HSS staff coach can give a 20-minute private lesson in exchange for:
- One missed after-school class from Spring 2020
- One group class from a group class 10-pack
- One group class from a Four Class Autopay plan (one lesson per week)
- One group class from an Unlimited Autopay plan (Unlimited fencers may take two 20-minute lessons, including back-to-back, per week)
- HSS members who kept their memberships running during the shutdown will receive lesson packs so they can make up missed classes with lessons.
- Punctuality is important in maintaining minimal contact. Please arrive no earlier than 5 minutes prior to your lesson start time to warm up. You will not be allowed into the facility until that time. Your lesson time will begin promptly at the designated start time.
- Only fencers are allowed in the club. Others, please wait in appropriate areas.
- Please wear a mask (cloth, surgical, etc) when you are in the building except during the lesson itself.
- For fencers under the age of 10 or those who would like a chaperone, text the club (832-674-0774) to have us meet your kids outside.
- Gear rental is available for HSS members. Contact us if you are interested in renting our gear.
- If you are using our club gear, please leave it on the designated table to be disinfected after each use.
- Bring your own water bottle and take it with you when you leave. The Zone’s water fountain will likely be turned off.
- DO NOT COME IF YOU ARE SICK OR NOT FEELING WELL. Even if it’s “probably allergies”. There’s a pandemic going on. We have families. We’ll give you those lessons later.
- Due to the strict scheduling we need 6 hours advance notice to cancel your lesson. If you cancel without notice or are a no show, you will lose that class. Contact us to cancel, we can discuss your lesson pack and reschedule if needed.
- If you are late to your lesson, you will have the remainder of the blocked time to complete your lesson time. The lost time will not be made up.
- If you miss your lesson time, you will be considered a no show. If you show up past your scheduled time, you may reserve a lesson for the next available lesson time.
- All lesson times are subject to change based on state and local regulations, and our own estimation of risks.
Coaches available for 20-minute lessons:
- Dan Gorman – Foil, Saber, Epee
- Liz Mayerich – Epee, beginner & intermediate Foil
- Hayley Gillen – Beginner & intermediate Saber, Epee, Foil