Virtual and In-person Private Lessons are Available
Face masks are required for all in-person events.
Virtual and In-Person Private Lessons
How lessons work:
- An HSS staff coach can give a 20-minute private lesson in exchange for:
- One group class from a group class 10-pack
- One group class from a Four Class Autopay plan (one lesson per week)
- One group class from an Unlimited Autopay plan (Unlimited fencers may take two 20-minute lessons, including back-to-back, per week, IN PLACE OF their regular group classes)
- 20-minute lessons are reserved for those who’ve purchased a class stated above.
- MASKS ARE REQUIRED for all in-person events. You and your family may not enter the club without face masks.
- DO NOT COME IF YOU ARE SICK OR NOT FEELING WELL. Even if it’s “probably allergies”. There’s a pandemic going on. We have families. We’ll give you those lessons later.
- Parents and family members are allowed in the club during lessons, but please minimize group size and maintain distance from other families.
- If you are borrowing club gear, please leave it in the designated areas to be disinfected after each use.
- Bring your own water bottle and take it with you when you leave.
- Virtual lessons will be conducted through Zoom. Please email your coach if you need the link.
- For your lesson, you will need a glove, mask, a weapon, something to hit, some space to move, and a phone or tablet with video chat capability.
- Your target could be a sturdy pillow, a jacket, or (saber only) a mask hung or propped at shoulder height. It will need to be sturdy so you can hit it repeatedly.
- You will need to be able to watch and send a video during your lesson. Wifi-enabled laptops, tablets, and phones are your best bet.
- Place your camera off to your non-dominant side. If you’re right handed, your camera should be to your left while you’re facing your target. Opposite for lefties. This gives you a better view of the camera and gives your coach a better view of your body during actions.
- The best location for a virtual lesson is somewhere with open floor space so you can move, and with a solid background so we can see your blade move. The second-best place for a virtual lesson is anywhere you can make it work!
- HSS members may rent gear to take home. Contact us if you are interested in renting our gear. We can arrange contactless dropoff within a 20-minute drive of HSS.
- Tech support problems? Call the club or contact your coach directly for help.
- Due to the strict scheduling, we need 6 hours advance notice to cancel your lesson. If you cancel without notice or are a no show, you will lose that lesson.
- If you are late for your lesson, you will have the remainder of the blocked time to complete your lesson time. The lost time will not be made up.
- If you miss your private lesson time by 5 minutes, you will be considered a no show.
- All lessons and classes are subject to change based on state and local regulations, and our own estimation of risks.