Virtual Private Lessons
How lessons work:
- An HSS staff coach can give a 20-minute private lesson in exchange for:
- One missed after-school class from Spring 2020
- One group class from a group class 10-pack
- One group class from a Four Class Autopay plan (one lesson per week)
- One group class from an Unlimited Autopay plan (Unlimited fencers may take two 20-minute lessons, including back-to-back, per week)
- HSS members who kept their memberships running during the shutdown will receive lesson packs so they can make up missed classes with lessons.
- 20-minute lessons are reserved for those who’ve purchased a class stated above.
- If you would like a 20-minute lesson, you are allowed to purchase our class packs.
- The lesson pricing shown below is for 1 lesson. Additional pricing will be shown at the time of reservation. To reflect different class packs and lesson duration options available.
- Virtual lessons will be conducted through Zoom. When you book your lesson, you can see your schedule and the link for the meeting at houstonswordsports.sites.zenplanner.com. Use the same login there that you use here. Please email your coach if you did not get a link.
- Please specify the coach you would like to work with in the comments when you book your lesson.
What you need:
- For your lesson, you will need a glove, mask, a weapon, something to hit, some space to move, and a phone or tablet with video chat capability.
- Your target could be a sturdy pillow, a jacket, or (saber only) a mask hung or propped at shoulder height. It will need to be sturdy so you can hit it repeatedly.
- You will need to be able to watch and send a video during your lesson. Wifi-enabled laptops, tablets, and phones are your best bet.
- The best location for a virtual lesson is somewhere with open floor space so you can move, and with a solid background so we can see your blade move. The second-best place for a virtual lesson is anywhere you can make it work!
- Gear rental is available for HSS members. Contact us if you are interested in renting our gear. We can arrange contactless dropoff within a 20-minute drive of HSS.
- Tech support problems? Call the club or contact your coach directly for help.
- Due to the strict scheduling, we need 6 hours advance notice to cancel your lesson. If you cancel without notice or are a no show, you will lose that class. Contact us to cancel, we can discuss your lesson pack and reschedule if needed.
- If you are late for your lesson, you will have the remainder of the blocked time to complete your lesson time. The lost time will not be made up.
- If you miss your private lesson time by 5 minutes, you will be considered a no show. You will have to reschedule your lesson time.
- All lessons and classes are subject to change based on state and local regulations, and our own estimation of risks.